Monday, November 23, 2009

November 21 2009 - Door skin Prep Work

Removing the old damaged door skin.
Repaired the window tracks while they are exposed.
Getting ready to weld in the straight Ilwaco skin.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September 26 2009 - Right Side Door Skin

The Ilwaco Buick door skin is in good shape and
the right side door skin on our 39 had some damage.
So I removed the skin from the good door and I'm getting ready to replace the damaged skin with the new one from the donor car


Monday, September 14, 2009

September 14 2009 - New 39 Addition

Here is the latest addition to the rust pile.

Debbie and I went to the Long Beach "Rod Run to the End of The World" this past weekend, and because I can't keep my eyes on the road, I spotted this 39 Buick Coupe sitting up on stands behind an old shop. No frame, just the body, or whats left of it. Well as it turns out this rust bucket will be coming home this week. Debbie, Wes and myself will be making a trip back to the coast with the car trailer to pick this Gem up.

Lots of parts I can use on my other Bucket.....



















Sunday, June 21, 2009

April 20 2009 - DOOR ALIGNMENT

That left the skin loose and required

welding the skin back into place.




I adjusted the door gap to the cowl and roof. That left the door and quarter gap way off. Using masking tape I laid out the proper gap and used a cutoff wheel to remove a portion of the door edge.

That trimming achieved a consistent gap around the entire door edge.



Door gaps were not consistent. Gaps ranged from .140 to .25



Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 19 2009 - 2 Ton Shop Crane

Another addition to the collection of tools needed for the 39.


2 Ton Shop Crane.

Needed to remove the body off the frame and the 800 LB Straight 8.









Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 18 2009 - Tail Pan - Repair

Tail Pan outer skin partially welded.
Lower edge will be last to weld in place.


Almost done.




Thursday, December 4, 2008

December 1 2008 - New Air Compressor

After 30 plus years, my dads compressor finally gave up.
So with my other 5 HP upright at my moms house, I needed a new compressor in my shop.
Some Assembly Required!

80 Gallon, 16.1 CFM @ 90 PSI.



November 26 2008 - Outer Tail Pan Skin

Outer skin being fit.

Cutting new skin panel.


Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sept. 24 - Nov. 14 2008 - REAR TAIL PAN -




Welded and finish work started.


Ready to be welded in place.

Newly fabricated tool tray inner skin.



Forming Skin.


Fitting into place.

Starting to fabricate new tool tray.

Tool Tray Has Been Removed..

Now the fun begins.


Removing Outer Skin.

Rusted Tail Pan / Tool Tray

Monday, June 23, 2008

Jun 23 2008 - Left Rear - Rust Repair

Looking good! What?

Marking for the cuts to remove old metal.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Jun 10 2007 - Right Rear - Metal Work

Cleaning up the welds and doing some straightening.


Looking pretty good.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Apr 5 - Jun 3 2008 - Right Rear - Rust Repair

Outer skin is fit and welded into place.
Inner skin is welded in place. Paper template was made from the old rusted skin.
I used the paper to cut out the new skin from sheet metal.
The rusted outer skin was cut out and removed in
preperation for the the new replacement skin.

Rear quarter and tail pan, rust through, and out, and gone.

Typical for the late 30's.

Rear quarter had been hit in the past and needed straightening also.The right rear quarter and tail pan was rusted pretty bad. Both inner and outer skins needed to be replaced. I cut out all the rusted areas, now i'm ready to fabricate new panels. I used the old skins as templates to cut out the new replacement skins. The new skins were trimmed to fit and welded into place. Overall it looks good and no more rust.